The Western Music Society (WMS) is a very active society of LSR. Specializing in acapella music, we cover several genres of music, from jazz to pop, R&B, soul and many others. Our in-house team is active in all college functions, participating in full zeal. Outside of college, WMS strives to participate in inter-college competitions. We also encourage students to participate in workshops to increase their musical knowledge and expand not just as a choir but as individual musicians as well.
President: Sange Thungon
Secretary: Ananya Redkar
Treasurer: Ynaiita Warjri
Staff Advisors : Mr. NgangomMaheshkanta Singh, Ms. Wafa Hamid
Society Email Address : email@example.com
- Orientation Day, 20th July, 2016
The senior members of the society performed for the welcoming ceremony of the new students of the college. The members performed Rather Be by Pentatonix and their own arrangement of Happy by Pharell Williams. They were well appreciated by the audience.
- WMS Orientation, 3rd August,2016 This orientation was conducted for the new entrants into the college to give them an insight into the workings of the society. A power-point presentation highlighting the achievements of the previous year was shown followed by the previous members performing their annual competitive piece and a medley of some popular songs for the audience. This Orientation was also conducted to invite students for the auditions in order to be a part of our society.
- WMS Auditions, 5th-6th August, 2016 The Auditions were opened to all three years. The students were judged primarily on their musicality and musical abilities. The society received over 150 registrations out of which 20 students were finally selected. Students displayed a wide range of genres when auditioning, from pop to hip-hop to many others.
- Independence Day, 12th August, 2017 The Independence Day saw an army of over 35 students (both in-house and core members) participating on stage. The song ‘waving flag’ by K’NAAN was arranged and executed by the society. The performance was widely appreciated.
- Teacher’s Day, 5th September, 2017
A medley of a two popular songs, ‘Treasure and Don’t stop believing’was created by the society to express our love and gratitude to our faculty for having always encouraged us in all our endeavours.
Hysteria: The Annual Western Music Events at Tarang:
- Pre-Tarang: Acoustic Night : Open Mic, 2nd February, 2017
An Open Mic Session was arranged for the college students, those having an affiliation towards music and love for music. It had a great response and the turn up was amazing. A lot of students performed and sang their heart out.
- Hysteria: First Day, 3rdFebruary, 2017
The society organized a Solo and Trio Singing Competition on the first day of Tarang. We had more than 50 online applications for the prelim round out of which 35 soloists and 15 trio groups were selected. Entries for the online prelim round saw students from across India participating. Students from Delhi University and other colleges in and around Delhi participated with great enthusiasm.
- Hysteria: Second Day, 4th February, 2017
The WMS organized an acapella event ‘Pitch Please’ on the last day of Hysteria. There were 25 entries and only 10 colleges were shortlisted for the event. There was a special performance by one of our judges, Kamakshi Khanna ,a Delhi based Indie singer.
- Hysteria: Third Day, 5th February, 2017
The WMS organized the ‘Battle of Bands’ competition which saw participants from all over India sending in their recordings for the Online Prelim Round. 7 Bands were shortlisted for the event from varied colleges of Delhi University and colleges around Delhi. The event was covered by various media representatives.
The annual competitive piece for the year consisted of a Western Classical Piece, ‘O Mganum Mysterium by Victoria and ‘Settle Down’ by Kimbra, a self-arrangement. The core team undertook extensive practices for the same. They participated and won prizes in several competitions over the months of October-April.