Department Of Journalism
Dr. Bindu Menon
Chapters in books:
Papers in Journals (National/ International):
- Menon, B. Towards a Domestic Cosmopolitanism: The Dialectics of Print Culture and Cinema in 1940s. In N. Majumdar and R. Mazumdar (Eds.), Blackwell Companion to Indian Cinema. London: Blackwell (Forthcoming )
- Menon, B. (2014). Post Modernism and Gender (MWG 007). In Gender, Literature, Culture, Course Material for M.A Program in Women’s and Gender Studies, Indira Gandhi National Open University, New Delhi. (ISBN 978-81-266-6705-5)
- Menon, B. (2010). Many Faces of Eve: Malayalam Middle cinema and the category of woman. In M. Pillai (Ed.) The Missing Look: Gender and Malayalam Cinema. Hyderabad: Orient Blackswan. (ISBN 8125038655, 9788125038658)
- Menon, B. (2009). Gandhi on your mobile screen: Social Movements and Mass Media. In N. Chandoke (Ed.). Contemporary India: Economy, Society, Politics. New Delhi: Orient Longman text Book Series. (ISBN 9788131719299)
- Menon, B. (2003). Some Problems in theorizing gender in Media Consumption. In K. Gopinath (Ed.). Film and Philosophy. Calicut: University of Calicut (ISBN: 817748057X 988177480573)
Book Reviews in Journals:
- Menon, B. (2016). One More Dirham: Religion, Migration and modernity in the Islamic Home films of South India. Migration, Mobility and Displacement, Vol. 2, 2016. (Forthcoming)
- Menon, B. (2013). The Blazon call of Hip hop: Lyrical storms in Kerala’s Musical Cultures. Journal of Creative Communication, 8(2/3), 231-250. (ISSN: 0973-2586 ONLINE ISSN: 0973-2594)
- Menon, B. (2011). Sketches for a film which never got made: Appan Thampuran’s Bhootharayar, Bioscope: South Asian Screen Studies Journal, 2(2), July. (ISSN: 0974-9276
- Menon, B. (2009). Romancing History, Historicising Romance in Circuits of Cinema: A Symposium on Indian Cinema in 1940s and 1950s, Seminar, 598, June. (ISBN 978- 81-88708)
- Menon, B. (2005). Identification, Desire and Otherness: Susanna and its Public, Deep Focus, January-May, 25-38. (ISBN 10: 1593762895)
- Menon, B. (2010). [Review of the book The Enigma of the Kerala Woman: A failed Promise of Literacy, by S. Mukhopadhyay (Eds)].Contributions to Indian Sociology, 44, 197-199. (Print ISSN: 0069-9667 Online ISSN: 0973-0648)
- Menon, B. (2009). [Review of the book History through the Lens: Perspectives on South Indian Cinema, by T. Bhaskaran]. The Book Review, XXIII.
Papers Presented in National/International Conferences:
- One Teaspoon, Thrice a Day: Migration, Social Reform and Modernity in the "Islamic Home Film" Movement of South India. CSRS Public Lecture Series, University of Victoria, October 15, 2015
- One More Dirham: Migration and Islamic Home films in South Asia and the Gulf Countries. CFGS Wednesday Lecture series, University of Victoria, November 22, 2015.
- Menon, B. (2018). “Witnessing Violence: Digital Interrogations in transnational labour migration “at ASCA International Conference on “Dissecting Violence : Structures, Imaginaries and Resistanmces” University of Amsterdam 4-6, 2018.
- Menon, B. (2017). “Home and the World: Belonging and mobile phones in migrant landscape”. Indian Media Studies: Contemporary perspectives”, Indian Institute of Advanced Study, Shimla July 26-27, 2017
- Menon, B. (2015). The Quotidian and the Spectacular: Caste Violence in Papilio Buddha and Fandry at the Symposium, “Human Rights and the Politics of Film Making in South Asia”, University of Washington Seattle, Bothell Campus, October 19-20, 2015.
- Menon, B. (2015). Transnational Religious Publics: Migration, Visual Culture and Jama’at-e-Islami in South Asia and the Middle East at the “Migration and Late Capitalism Conference”, University of Victoria, June 11-13, 2015.
- Menon, B. (2015). Transnational Religious Publics: Islamic Home films in Kerala and the Middle East at the Venketeshwara-Ramjhas conference on “Contested Knowledge: Event, Truth, Politics” Delhi University, New Delhi, March 26-27, 2015.
- Menon, B. (2015). Islamic Home films in Kerala and the Middle East at “Indian Media Economy and Culture” International Conference, Jamia Milia Islamia University, New Delhi February 10-13, 2015.
- Menon, B. (2014). Developmentalism with Cinema: Health Films in Travancore 1940s, at “Visible Evidence 21”, International Conference, New Delhi, December, 2014.
- Menon, B. (2013). Religious Politics and Visual Culture: The Making of Islamic tele-film movement in Kerala, South West India (Co-authored paper) at “American Anthropology Association Annual Conference”, Chicago, November, 2013.
- Menon, B. (2013). Chronicles of a disappearance: Caste, gender and early audiences in South India, Conference on “VIIth Women and Silent Screen”, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia, 30th September-2nd October, 2013.
- Menon, B. (2013). Chronicles of a disappearance: Caste, gender and early audiences in South India, International Conference “The Indian Cinema Century: Film Technology and the Contemporary, School of Arts and Aesthetics”, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, 10- 12thJanuary, 2013.
- Menon, B. (2012). The Blind Quam and the Visual: Islamic Home film Movement in North Malabar and Public Sphere, Colloquium on Political Islam, Maulana Azad Institute of Contemporary Studies, Calcutta, 27-29th August, 2012.
- Menon, B. (2012). This Curious Commodity Called Cinematograph – Law and the Cinematograph Exhibitions in South India (1926–27), at “Legal Histories of the British Empire Conference”, Singapore, 5-7thJuly, 2012.
- Menon, B. (2011). The Blind Quam and the Visual: Islamic Home film Movement in North Malabar and Public Sphere, IAMCR Conference on “Cities, Connectivity’s and Creativities” Conference, Istanbul, Turkey, 13-19thJuly, 2011.
- Menon, B. (2009). Malayalam Cinema and Nehruvian Modernity, at the “Popular Cinemas of the Nehruvian Era”, Conference held at Nehru Memorial Museum and Library, New Delhi, 23-24th November, 2009.
- Menon, B. (2008). New Spaces and new Moves: The publicness of Cinema in 1920s Thiruvithamkoor, at the “Regional Film Industries-formative Years” Conference at English and Foreign Languages University, Hyderabad, 14-15th November, 2008.
- Menon, B. (2004). Identification, Desire and Otherness: Susanna and its Public, “Society for Cinema and Media Studies Annual Film Studies Conference”, Atlanta, 4-7th March, 2004.
- Menon, B. (2004). Questions for Film Historiography: Hollywood, Nation and Region, College of Communications Colloquium series, Pennsylvania State University, 17th February, 2004.
- Menon, B. (2003). Region and its Discontents: Crossings in Malayalam Cinema and Modernity, 8th Annual Cultural Studies workshop, organised by Centre for Studies in Social Sciences, Calcutta, Roskilde University, Netherlands and Centre for Basic Research Kampala, Uganda, Goa, February, 2003.
- Menon, B. (2002). Problems in theorizing gender in media consumption, at ‘Cinema- 24 frames per second’ University Grants Commission seminar on Film and Philosophy, University of Calicut, August, 2002.
- Harold Coward India research Fellowship, Centre for Studies in Religion and Society, University of Victoria, British Columbia, Canada from July 2015-October 2015.
- Fulbright visiting grant to visit United States Educational Institutions, non-degree Student at College of Communications, Pennsylvania State University, 2003-2004
- Sarai Student Fellowship with the Sarai Urban Studies Project at CSDS, New Delhi (2005)
- Charles Wallace archival Grant to work in various British archives and Libraries (2007).
- SPEAR Grant for archival work, RATAN TATA TRUST, 2009.
- University Grants Commission of India Junior research fellowship, 1998
Chair of panels:
- Member of the selection committee for World Cinema and Competition Section, 42nd International Film Festival of India, Goa December 2011.
- Chair, Panel on “Non literary Narratives” , Dept of English, Lady Shri Ram College for Women, Delhi University, February 26-28th , 2015.
- Chair, Panel on “Demystifying Law and Gender”, National Academic Congress on Gender, March 7-10th, 2015.
- Migrant cartographies: migrant media in the Gulf Council cities- research project funded by International Institute of Asian Studies , Leiden, Netherlands
- “Animal Imaginaries in Indian Cinema” Modern South Asia Seminar Series, February 15 2018. University of Leiden.Leiden , Netherlands
- “Dubai Vernaculars: Migrant Media Imaginaries of Dubai”. IIAS Lunch Lectures, November 21. 2017. International Institute of Asian Studies Leiden.
- Media Free Zones: Precarious Labour and Migrant Vernaculars in Emirati Cities”.IIAS Newsletter No.79.Page 11.https://issuu.com/iias/docs/iias_nl79_full
- Peer Reviewer for Journal of Creative Communications, Peer reviewed Journal of Sage Publications, New Delhi.
- Peer Reviewer for South Asian Popular Culture, Peer Reviewed Journal of Taylor& Francis.London.
- Peer Reviewer for Studies in South Asian Film & Media, Intellect Books, London.
- Peer Reviewer for International Journal of Digital Television, Intellect Books , London.
- Monograph titled “Under the Sign of the Modern: Cinema, Senses and the Public in early 20th Century Malayalam Region.
- Co- authored volume on the Islamic Home film movement in North Malabar.
- Research Fellow, International Institute of Asian Studies, University of Leiden.
- International Association of Media and Communication research (IAMCR)
© Copyright 2016 Lady Shri Ram College for Women, All rights reserved.