Department Of History
Dr. Smita Sahgal
- Sahgal, S. (2017). Niyoga: Alternative mechanism of lineage perpetuation. A socio- historical enquiry. Delhi: Primus Books.
Chapters in Book:
- Shrimali K.M., Gupta, V., Singh, M., Sahgal, S., Choudhary, P., & Shah, S. (2013). Teaching History. New Delhi: Aakar Publication. (ISBN: 9789350022436)
Papers in Journals (National/International):
- Smita S. (2017). ‘Ecological Dimensions of Ahimsa: A Historical Peep into Buddhist and Jaina Ethics’. In P. Srivastava, P. Rai & S. Shukla. Spiritual Ecology and Sustainability, Practice and Confluence, New Delhi, Author Press, pp. 67-85, ISBN 978-93-5207-386-3
- Sahgal, S. (2014). Alternatives Marginalised: Fluctuations in Brahmanical Paradigms on the Niyoga. In D. N. Jha (Ed.). The Complex Heritage of Early India, Essays in Memory of R.S. Sharma (pp. 475-512). New Delhi: Manohar Publishers and Distributers. (ISBN: 978-93-5098-058-3)
- Sahgal, S. (2013). Negotiating Spaces in Patriarchal Frames: A Comparative Reflection on Draupadi and Madhavi’s Representation in The Mahabharata. In N. Chaturvedi (Ed.). Equipollent Issues and Women in Post Independent India (pp.151- 163). New Delhi: Pratyush Publications. (ISBN: 9879382171225)
- Sahgal, S. (2013). Spread of Jainism in North India between Circa 200 BC and AD 300. In N.N. Bhattacharya (Ed.). Jainism and Prakrit in Ancient and Medieval India: Essays for Jagdish Chandra Jain (pp. 205-232). New Delhi: Manohar Publishers and Distributers. (ISBN: 8173040982)
- Sahgal, S. (2012). Gendered Inquiry into Niyoga: Appraising Institution from the Perspective of Female Actors. In Proceedings of Indian History Congress, 72nd Session, Patiala (pp. 179-192). Delhi: Indian History Congress. (ISSN: 2249-1937)
- Sahgal, S. (2010). Masculinity in Early India: Constructing an Embryonic Frame. In Proceedings of Indian History Congress, 70th session, Delhi (pp. 151- 163). Delhi: Indian History Congress. (ISSN: 2249-1937)
- Sahgal, S. (2006). Polyandry within Patriarchy: Reiteration of male Hegemony in the Social- Sexual Contexts of Early India. In Proceedings of Indian History Congress, 66th Session, Shanti Niketan, (pp. 199- 214). Delhi: Indian History Congress. (ISSN: 2249-1937)
Book Reviews in Journals:
- Sahgal, S. (2015). Niyoga [Levirate]: Conflict Resolution to Bruised Masculinity in Early India. International Journal of Social Science and Humanity, 6(4), 303-308. (ISSN: 2010-3646)
- Sahgal, S.(2015), ‘Situating Kingship within an Embryonic Frame of Masculinity in Early India’ in Social Scientist, Vol. 43, Numbers 11-12, November-December 2015, pp 3-26. ISSN 0970293
- Sahgal, S. (2012). Exploring the Beneficiaries: A Gendered Peep into the Institution of Niyoga in Early India. Indian Historical Review, 39(2), 163-198. (ISSN: 0376-9836)
- Sahgal, S. (2010). Mutations within the Tradition of Niyoga: An Assessment from Woman’s Vantage. Journal of Ancient Indian History, xxvii, 116-132. (ISSN: 0075- 4110)
- Sahgal, S. (2009). Reading Godharma; The Myth and Its possible Contexts. Social Science Probings, 21(1), 47-58. (Regd. No R. N. 42813/84)
- Sahgal, S. (2007). Women’s ‘consent’ and Women’s ‘Agency’: A Study of Madhavi in Mahabharata. Social Science Probings, 19(1), 1-10. (Regd. No. 42813/84)
- Sahgal, S. (2006). Locating Female Sexuality: A Study of Polyandrous Representations. Social Science Probings, 18 (2), 33-51. (Regd.No R. N. 42813/84)
- Sahgal, S. (2005). Looking at the Bull: Decoding its Myths. Social Science Probings, 17(2), 1-30. (Regd. No R.N. 42813/84)
- Sahgal, S. (1998). Strinirvana: A Dent in Spiritual Hegemony: A Historical Perspective. Trends in Social Science Research, 5(2), 40-45. (ISSN: 0971-6432)
Articles in Newspapers/ Magazines:
- Sahgal, S. (2015). Book Review of Jaya Tyagi’s, Contestation and Compliance: Retrieving Women Agency from Puranic Traditions’, in Indian Historical Review, 42(2), pp. 336-339, 2015, ISSN 03769836.
- Sahgal, S. (2014). The Region in Historical Frame. [Review of the book The Changing Gaze, Regions and constructions of Early India by B.P. Sahu]. Indian History, I, 181- 184. (ISSN: 2348-2850)
- Sahgal, S. (2007). Representing the Sacred. [Review of the book Indian Architecture: Hindu Buddhist and Jain by S. Sahai]. Biblio, XII (1 & 2), 37-39. (ISSN:0971-8982)
- Sahgal, S. (2007). [Review of the book Bull in Indian Architecture: Upto sixth century by B. Jha]. Social Science Probings, 16(1), 155-160. (Regd. No 42813/84)
- Sahgal, S. (1998). [Review of the book India in the Age of Kanishka: Age of Global Interaction and Expansion by M. Thakur]. Trends of Social Science Research, 5(1), 152-156. (ISSN: 0971-6432)
Papers Presented in National/International Conferences:
- Sahgal, S. (2005). ‘From Wife to Goddess: The Cult of Draupadi’, Women’s Watch, Vol. 3, Issue 1, pp. 10-18, October-December, 2005.
- Sahgal, S. (2018). ‘Scriptural Location of Ahimsa (non-Violence) within Indian Religious Traditions’, at a conference on Sacred ScriptUres-Their Nature and Place in Religion organised by Israel Association for the Study of Religions (IASR),at BarIlan University, Tel Aviv, Israel, 11-12 March, 2018.
- Sahgal, S. (2017). ‘Foundations of Vedic Masculinities: Animal Symbolism, Myths and Ritual Practices’ at Sharda University, Greater Noida, on 17 TH February, 2017
- Sahgal, S. (2017). ‘Reading Niyoga from Gender Vantage: Issue of Surrogacy within the Mahabharata.’ International Conference on The Mahabharata and Inter-Asian Cultures: Transmissions, Adaptations, Performances and Histories, at INGCA, organized by Department of English, University of Delhi, on 7 TH April 2017.
- Sahgal, S. (2016). ‘Norms and Departure: Locating Women’s Economic Agency within the Dharmashastras’, in National Conference on Sanskrit Research Traditions in Modern Context, organized by Special Centre for Sanskrit Studies, Jawahar Lal Nehru University, on 8 th October,2016
- Sahgal, S. (2014). Locating Levirate in Ancient Israel: Postulating Parrells with Indian Niyoga, Indian History Congress, JNU, 28-30th December, 2014.
- Sahgal, S. (2014). Nalanda and Vikramshila: Buddhist Repositaries of Higher Learning: A Historical Review, International Conference at Oxford Centre of Buddhist Studies and Indian Institute of Buddhist Studies, Pune, 22-24th November, 2014.
- Sahgal, S. (2014). Ecological Dimensions of Ahimsa: A Historical Peep into Buddhist and Jain Ethics, National Conference on ‘Spiritual Ecology and Sustainability: Confluence and Relevance in the 21st Century’, Maharaja Agrasena College, University of Delhi, 14th October, 2014.
- Sahgal, S. (2014). Notions of the ‘Ultimate Man’ within the Spiritual Tradition of early Buddhism: A Historical Study XIV, Annual Conference of ISBS [Indian Society of Buddhist Studies], Allahabad, 10th October, 2014.
- Sahgal, S. (2013). Violence and Valour: Essential Ingredients of Mahabharata Masculinity, second Annual International conference on ‘Violence in Indian History’, Archive Indian Institute, 1st November, 2013.
- Sahgal, S. (2012). Situating Kingship within the Discourse of Masculinity in Early India, International Conference on ‘Kingship in India’, organised by Archive India Institute, 1st November, 2012.
- Sahgal, S. (2011). Gendered Enquiry into Niyoga: Appraisng the Institution from the perspective of Female Actors, Indian History Congress, 72th session, Patiala, 12th December, 2011.
- Sahgal, S. (2011). Endurance through assimilation: Permeation of Goddess into Jaina atheistic traditions, International Festival of Sacred Arts, 4-6th March, 2011.
- Sahgal, S. (2011). Niyoga and Inheritance Norms: Legal frameworks without the Subjects Voice or Choice, International seminar on ‘Feminism of Discontent; Global Contestations,
Debates on Gender and the law’, organised by Australian National University and O.P. Jindal Global University February, 2011.
- Sahgal, S. (2010). Masculinity in Early India: Constructing an Embryonic Frame, Indian History Congress, Seventieth Session, Delhi, May, 2010.
- Sahgal, S. (2007). Reading Godharma: The Myth and its Context, International Seminar on ‘History Of Religion’, organised by Academic Staff College, JNU, in collaboration with Nehru Memorial Library and Embassy of Romania, October, 2007.
- Sahgal, S. (2006). History a Science? : Challenges in Communicating Scientific History, Second Peoples Education Congress, Supplementary Session, JNU, December, 2009.
- Sahgal, S. (2006). Control of Female Sexuality in Mythical Polyandrous Unions of Ancient Indian Epics, Jesus and Mary College, DU, 23rd February, 2006.
- Published a monograph titled, Niyoga: Alternative Mechanism to Lineage Perpetuation in Early India A Socio-Historical Enquiry, Delhi, Primus Books, 2017, ISBN No. 9789384082857
- ‘Ecological Dimensions of Ahimsa: A Historical Peep into Buddhist and Jain Ethics’, in Prem Srivastava, Pratibha Rai and Suamya Shukla ed. Spiritual Ecology and Sustainability, Practice and Confluence, New Delhi, Author Press, 2017, pp. 67-85, ISBN 978-93-5207-386-3
- Have been a member of Course Revision Committee, Department of History, University of Delhi
- ICCR Chair for a six weeks intensive course on Indian Studies titled : Facets of Hinduism; A Religio-Historical Study at Haifa University, Israel, from 5th March to 21st April, 2018.
- Gave a public lecture/ Key note address titled ‘Devi Worship and Sacrificial Cults in India’, in a colloquium on Sacrifice and Sacrificial Cults in Eastern Religions, organized by Haifa University, Israel, on 26th March, 2018.
- Gave a talk on ‘Sustaining and Critiquing Violence: Women Voices within the Mahabharata’, in a panel discussion around the theme of Reclaiming Women’s Voices: A Historical Approach, at Dualat Ram College, University of Delhi on15th March, 2018.
- Gave a talk on ‘Foundations of Historical Research: Sources: Relevance and Technique of Use’, in the Research Methodology workshop organized by the History Department, Lady Shri Ram College, on 18th January 2018.
- Participated in Panel discussion and gave a talk on Gender in the Matrix of Power, Love and Hate: Reading Trajectories of Draupadi and Madhavi within the Mahabharata’, at Janaki Devi Mahavidyalay, University of Delhi, on 27th October, 2017.
- Participated in Panel discussion organized by Department of Sociology, Lady Shri Ram College, on ‘Higher Education in India’, spoke on the issue of Fate of Social Sciences in Higher Education, on 26th October 2017.
- Gave a talk in Hindi on ‘Badalte Samaj ka sandharbh aur niyoga pratha’ at the interdisciplinary interaction organised by the Hindi Department, Lady Shri Ram College, on 24th August, 2017
- Conducted a session in Faculty Development Programme, Sharda University, Greater Noida on 27th July 2017. Engaged faculty on the theme around ‘Historical Reading of Myths: Niyoga within the Mahabharata and Puranas’,
- Sahgal, S. (2016). Delivered a talk on "Reflections on Gender Relations within the Mahabharata’, at Sharda University, Greater Noida, on 17th March, 2016
- Sahgal, S. (2016). Chaired a session and delivered a talk on ‘Output of Quality Assurance in Higher Education; the Evolution of a Complete Individual’, at the Fourth National Student Academic Congress, Maharaja Agrasen College, 12 March, 2016
- Sahgal, S. (2016). Interacted with members of Study Circle, Noida on the topic, ‘'Draupadi and Madhavi: Reading Trajectories of some Women Characters of the Mahabharata", on 19th February, 2016
- Sahgal, S. (2015). Delivered talk on "Contesting notions of Virility and Violence: Alternative images of masculinity within the Mahabharat" at the Aung San SuuKyi Centre for Peace at Lady Shri Ram College on 11th August 2015
- Sahgal, S. (2015). Resource Person at Research Methodolgy workshop at Manipur University, Imphal, 19th March, 2015.
- Sahgal, S. (2014). Resource Person at the History Refresher Course, spoke on ‘Research Methodology and drafting of Research Proposal’, Jamia Milia Islamia, 19th February, 2014.
- Sahgal, S. (2013). Masculinities in Early India Possibilities of a Discourse, Faculty Research
Forum, LSR, August, 2013.
- Sahgal, S. (2013). ‘Áhimsa: A gateway to Consciousness’, a Poster-presentation, International Conference on ‘Towards Science of Consciousness’ organised by University of Arizona and Dayalbagh Educational Institute, Agra, March, 2013.
- Sahgal, S. (2012). ‘Exploring the Beneficiaries: A Gendered Peep into the Institution of Niyoga in Early India’, ICHR, 17th May, 2012.
- Sahgal, S. (2010). Discussed the book ‘The Difficulty of Being Good’, written by Gurcharan Das, at Bluebells School as a part of Book Review week, July, 2010.
- Sahgal, S. (2008). The Relevance of Social Science in Contemporary Society, seminar organized by a Students awareness group at St. Peter’s college, Agra, December, 2008.
- Sahgal, S. (2006). Consent and Agency: Women in Mahabharata, workshop on ‘Women and Agency’, organised by Women’s Studies and Development Cell, University of Delhi, August,
© Copyright 2016 Lady Shri Ram College for Women, All rights reserved.