Department Of English
Dr. Maya Joshi
- Awarded the Fulbright-Nehru Post-doctoral Research Fellowship, with affiliation at the School of Arts and Sciences, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, for the period August 16, 2017- August 15, 2018.
Chapters in books:
- Tulku, L. D. & Joshi, M. (2010). Pramana: Dharmakirti and the Indian Philosophical Debate. New Delhi: Manohar Publishers. (ISBN: 9788173048555)
- Joshi, M. (2006) (Ed.). My Life My Times: The Autobiography of Kushok Bakula. New Delhi: World Buddhist Trust.
- Joshi, M. (Ed.) (2002). Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein. New Delhi: Worldview Publications. (ISBN-10: 8186423648).
Papers in Journals (National/International):
- Joshi, M. (2016). Rahula Sankrityayan and Buddhism: A Complex Engagement. In On the Trail of Buddhism in Asia: Reflections on Tradition and Practice, Suchandana Chatterjee and Sushmita Bhattacharya (Eds)., Kolkata: Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Institute of Asian Studies/Pentagon Press. pp 76-87. ISBN978-81-8274-830-9.
- Joshi, M. (2015). Opting out of the Mould: The English Option in B. El. Ed. In A. Kalyani & S. Sharma (Eds.). Pedagogic Trajectories (pp. 160-164). New Delhi: Synergy Books India. (ISBN: 978-93-82059-30-1)
- Joshi, M. (2012). Buddhisms in India Today: Problems and Possibilities of a Pluralistic Paradigm. In K. Dhammasami et al. (Eds.). Teaching Dharma in New Lands (pp. 326-333). Academic Papers presented at the 2nd International Association of Buddhist Universities’ Conference, Ayutthaya, Thailand.
Book Review in Journals:
- Joshi, M. (2009). Rahul Sankrityayan’s Journeys of the Self: Nation, Culture, Identity. Studies in Humanities and Social Sciences, XVI (1&2), 119-147. (ISSN: 0972-1401)
- Joshi, M. (2004). Drama in Translation: Two Teaching Texts. Creative Forum: Journal of Literary and Critical Writings (Special Number: Indian Literatures in Translation), 17(1), 49-56.
Papers Presented in National/International Conferences:
- Joshi, M. (2002). Of Human Resilience. [Review of the book Anaro and Other Stories, by M. Bhagat]. The Book Review, XXVI (2), 45-46. (ISSN: 0970-4175)
- Joshi, M. (2002). Re-reading Premchand. [Review of the book The World of Premchand, by D. Rubin] The Book Review, XXVI (12), 27-29. (ISSN: 0970-4175)
- Joshi, M. (1996). A Delicate Equation. [Review of the book Song of the Loom, by R. Govind (Trans.)]. The Book Review, XX, (9), 16-17. (ISSN: 0970-4175)
- Joshi, M. (2017). "Buddhist Peace: Some Questions." International conference titled Nalanda Dialogue: Buddhism in the Twentieth Century: Perspectives and Response to Global Challenges and Crises, Rajgir, Bihar March 17-19, 2017.
- Moderated a session at the same conference on "Buddhism: Traditions, Diversity and Development". On March 20, 2017.
- Joshi, M. (2017). "In Praise of the Peripatetic; Or the Goal of Ghumakkari" at a seminar titled Modes, Motives, Motifs, and Conditions in Intra-Asian Travel under the aegis of The Intra-Asian Travel Project (under UGC SAP – III), organized by the CDS, CSVMT, and CAT, March 20-21, 2017 at the Department of English, University of Delhi.
- Joshi, M. (2014). Rahul Sankrityayan’s Revolutionary Relocations. Lecture/Presentation at Tuesday Seminar Series at the NMML, Teen Murti House, 28th January, 2014.
- Joshi, M. (2013). Liberation Via Buddha and/or Marx: Sankrityayan and Ambedkar’s Voyages, Third International Conference ‘The Backwaters’ Collective on Metaphysics and Politics’, Cochin, India, 21st July, 2013.
- Joshi, M. (2013). Rahul Sankrityayan and Central Asia: A Traveller’s Travails and Triumphs, National Seminar on ‘Central Asian Studies in India’, organised by the JNU’s School of International Studies’ Central Asia Program’s JNU, New Delhi, 28th March, 2013.
- Joshi, M. (2011). Opting out of the Mould: The English Option in B. El. Ed., National Seminar on Teacher Education - ‘Pedagogic Trajectories’ organised by the Department of Elementary Education, LSR College, September, 2011.
- Joshi, M. (2008). Buddhism in India Today, International Conference on ‘Buddhism in Contemporary Mongolia: Its Development and Challenges Ahead’ held in collaboration with
the National University of Mongolia, UlaanBaatar, Mongolia, 19-21st May, 2008.
- Joshi, M. (2007). From Inner Work to the Outer World: Buddhism’s Challenge in the 21st Century, Seminar on religion jointly organised by (IIAS) Indian Institute of Advanced Study, Simla, and the Indian Council of Philosophical Research, New Delhi, 2007.
- Joshi, M. (2006). Travelling Light: Rahul Sankrityayan’s Autobiography and the Question of Location, at ‘Rites of Passage: Exploring Changes in the Travel Motif’, Annual International Conference, Department of Germanic and Romance Studies, University of Delhi, March, 2006.
- Joshi, M. (2005). Autobiography East and West: Some Theoretical Issues, at the Associate’s Seminar, Indian Institute of Advanced Study, Shimla, April, 2005.
- Joshi, M. (2004). Re-incar(nations): Satyanand Stokes in India, at the Associate’s Seminar, Indian Institute of Advanced Study, Shimla, November, 2004.
- Joshi, M. (2003). Vijay Tendulkar and Mohan Rakesh: Mediations in Modernity, at the Miranda House (DU) Annual Krishna Memorial event, a National Seminar on ‘Realism’, October,
- Joshi, M. (2003). Reflections on Historiography: The case of Dharamshala, National Seminar on ‘Sources of History in the Sub-Himalayan Regions,’ organised jointly by the ICHR, New Delhi and the Institute of Buddhist Studies, Choglamsar, Leh, Ladakh from 26-28th June, 2003.
Conferences and Workshops:
- Delivered a Public Lecture “Travelling Selves: Thoughts on Birth, Being, and Belonging”, by the Department of History and the Rohatyn Centre for Global Affairs, Middlebury College, Vermont, U.S.A., October 18, 2017.
- Delivered a Public Lecture “Stretching Space, Keeping Time: The Explorative Abundance of Rahul Sankrityayan” by the Department of Philosophy and South Asia Concentration, Smith College, Northampton, Massachusetts, U.S.A., February 27, 2018.
- Delivered a talk “Reading Rahul Sankrityayan’s Twenty-First Century today: Sleep of Centuries, Dreams of Utopia” by Latitudes, Department of English, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, U.S.A., April 18, 2018.
- Delivered a Public Lecture “Volga to Ganga, Buddha to Marx: The Many Voyages of Mahapandit Rahul Sankrityayan” at the University of California, Berkeley, California, U.S.A., April 25, 2018.
- Presented a paper for discussion at the Philadelphia Area Buddhist Studies Workshop (PABST), Williams Hall, University of Pennsylvania on “Iterations of Liberation, via Buddha and Marx: Rahul Sankrityayan and Bhimrao Ambedkar”, April 20, 2018.
- Presented a paper for discussion at the Five Colleges Buddhist Studies Faculty Seminar, Smith College, Northampton on “Buddha and Marx: Sankrityayan and Ambedkar’s Quests” on March 1, 2018.
- Joshi, M. (2014). Discussant, Signatures of Memory: Critical Humanities and the Question of Inheritance, by Dr. Venkat Rao, International Conference on Metaphysics and Politics, Cochin, Kerala, 31stJuly 31- 2nd August, 2014.
- Joshi, M. (2013). A Quaker in Gandhi’s India: The Inner and Outer Worlds of Samuel Evans/Satyanand Stokes, Public Lecture, Gest Centre and Department of Philosophy, Haverford
College, Haverford, Pennsylvania, 3rd October, 2013.
- Joshi, M. (2013). ‘Sahib’, ‘Sadhu’, Freedom Fighter: The Lesser Known Tale of Satyanand Stokes and India, Public Lecture, Rohatyn Centre for Global Studies, Middlebury College, Vermont, 1st October, 2013.
- Joshi, M. (2013). Rahul Sankrityayan: Between Buddha and Marx, Public Lecture, Department of Political Science, Amherst College, Amherst, Massachusetts, 25th September, 2013.
- Joshi, M. (2013). An American Quaker in Gandhi’s India, Public Lecture, The South Asian Students’ Association, Williams College, Williamstown, Massachusetts, 26th September, 2013.
- Joshi, M. (2013). Caste, Class, Religion in India: Ambedkar’s Engagement with Buddha and Marx. Visiting International Speaker at the Global Salon, Lewis Global Studies Centre, Smith College, Northampton, 24th September, 2013.
- Joshi, M. (2013). Missionaries in India: The Case of Satyanand Stokes, Public Lecture, Lewis Global Studies Centre and South Asian Studies, Smith College, Northampton, 24th September, 2013.
- Joshi, M. (2013). Gandhi and Gender: Some Perspectives, Panelist at ‘The Silent Crusaders’, The Sarvodaya International Trust’s Commemorative Symposium on the eve of Mahatma
Gandhi’s Martyrdom Day, India International Centre, New Delhi, 29th January, 2013.
- Joshi, M. (2013). Rahul Sankrityayan and Buddhism: A Complex Engagement, Panel Presentation at Consultative Panel Discussion, ‘Buddhist Studies in India’, Maulana Abul
Kalam Azad Institute of Asian Studies, Kolkata, 7th June, 2013.
- Joshi, M. (2012). Buddhisms in India Today: Problems and Possibilities of a Pluralistic Paradigm, Panel Presentation at the ‘International Association of Buddhist Universities’ Annual Seminar organised on the occasion of the 9th United Nations Day of Vesak Celebrations, Ayutthaya, Thailand, June, 2012.
- Joshi, M. (2011). Gandhi’s Autobiography, A presentation at the Workshop for Faculty from Political Science Departments across DU, organised by the Political Science Department and the Institute of Life Long Learning, University of Delhi, April, 2011.
- Joshi, M. (2009). Invited Observer and Speaker at the Valedictory Session at the International Conference on ‘Buddhism and Science’, at the Central Institute of Higher Tibetan Studies, Sarnath, India, January, 2009.
- Joshi, M. (2009). Visualizing Terror: The Aesthetics and Politics of a Genre, Annual Literary Meet of the Department of English of Indraprastha College for Women, University of Delhi, January, 2009.
- Joshi, M. (2002). Humour in Premchand: Mediating Modernity, Public Lecture as Visiting Fulbright Exchange Faculty, Kenyon College, Ohio, 7th October, 2002.
© Copyright 2016 Lady Shri Ram College for Women, All rights reserved.